Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Progress update 2


Over my weekend, I welded the #2 and #3 oil tanks. They have been sent out for painting.

Also, I will be installing the pilot's right master cylinder, so that the design may be checked under closer to real circumstances (you can step on both pedals at once).

Now to tackle the challenge of routing flex lines for the master cylinders.

The easy solution lies in using a swivel joint where the flex line terminates at the firewall. Finding a suitable swivel is the next task.

Renee asked about the landing gear bolts. She talked to Bruce who said that any of the bolts that weren't safetied were not the "new" bolts. I checked, and found some "new" bolts w/o castellated nuts, which obviously, were not safetied. They appeared to be new bolts, so I found some nuts and washers, and put them on, but not torqued or safetied yet. I found two locations (one on each side of the aircraft) that require bolts that are not in stock up here. They are NAS464P8-38 bolts, and I will call the hardware guy who Renee uses in order to procure.

We also talked about engine mount bolts. She found records that detailed the installation of the engines showing the p/n's for the mounting hardware. I'll order these as well.


I worked up in the wing center section for a while. I removed the Center Tank Fuel Valve, hooked up the actuator tube, then reinstalled the valve. I checked out the function and rigging of the 3 fuel valves in the center section by running shop air through them while selecting the valves and checking to see where the air exited.

I did some clamping and routing, as well as pic labeling. Compared pics to present state, and am developing a list of what brackets, lines and wires need installation (and need to be found)

I also fabricated some brackets for the fuel lines in the forward lower access on the rear of the front spar using pictures of the previous brackets as a guide.


worked in the cabin and wing center section routing and clamping fuel and sense lines. replaced bad and installed new nutplates.


worked in the wing center section, routing fuel lines and vacuum lines. Had to reposition fuel line for #1 engine due to interference w/ the removable cross brace in the wing. Routed the lines all the way to the engine and clamped. Routed indication lines. Brackets will have to be fabricated for the fuel line bulkhead fitting, and incorporate a bracket for the vacuum line in the same area. In addition, the forward cross brace on the left side has problems with the hole locations. the upper holes are mis-drilled. (there is a pilot hole in the correct position, but for whatever reason, the 5/16 hole isn't. Will have to remove and fabricate the end plates at the upper end of the brace, and drill in position. see below:

Progress update 1

here's a little blurb about the progress and status of N8419
Starting the week of 10/6/08, I un-boxed everything I could find that was here in regard to the Tri Motor. I itemized the rotable parts, creating a component p/n and s/n list. the expendable parts were noted and all parts placed on designated shelves.
I did some work up in the wing center section, clamping lines, rerouting teleflex cables and wire. I also surveyed the center section in regard to what it is now, vs. what the pictures taken of it look like. There are differences, naturally. The most notable is a lack of the various brackets and supports for solid and flex lines and wiring. It would be fantastic to find them all on the "old" wing section. Not all could be reused, due to changes in the structural design, but it would be a start. Pending the location of the brackets, I moved on to another challenge.
Starting the week of 10/13/08 Brakes:
The brake master cylinders are an interesting project to say the least. I was able to assemble from the parts provided, the system that is approved per the aircraft records from 1991. It seemed that someone was fiddling with them, but I intend to put them back to the approved configuration.

I am recording each step with notes and pictures, so as to create a lasting record for the N8419.

Best Regards,
Your Trimotor assembler...

Introduction to my Trimotor blog

Welcome, aviation enthusiasts! I'll be working on a Ford/Stout Trimotor 5AT-C this winter. I'll have it flyable by April of next year (2009). You can experience the fun vicariously through this blog interface. Comments are encouraged, but will be moderated. I'll post at least once a week.